Saturday, July 17, 2010

Scene 43

EXT. PARK - NIGHT
Jutta and Bob are suprized to find themselves on a blind date together.

BOB
Ms. Knobloch!

Jutta’s phone rings. Startled, she turns it off in a fury.

JUTTA
What are you doing?

BOB
The same thing you’re doing.

JUTTA
I didn’t know it was you.

BOB
How could I know?

JUTTA
That picture didn’t look like you.

BOB
Your military shot wasn’t any better. But totally hot.

JUTTA
Really? ... Stop that. If they found out at the office, I’d --

BOB
The office is closed.

JUTTA
It’s all over, isn’t it?

BOB
You’ll be back on your feet in no time.

JUTTA
I can’t. I just can’t anymore.

BOB
You’re strong. I know you.

JUTTA
(breaking down)
My life’s a disaster. I invested everything in that job. Now it’s just vanished in thin air. And Chris is gone.

BOB
Really?
(feigned sadness)
Oh, that’s terrible.

JUTTA
I miss the office. There’s something wrong with me.

BOB
No, I miss it too. I miss your incessant orders. Your insensitive badgering and complaining about minutia.

JUTTA
Stop trying to make me feel better.

BOB
I miss you.

JUTTA
You do take orders well. And apparently I like giving them.

BOB
Ruff!
Jutta throws Bob another biscuit, now intrigued.

JUTTA
I don’t even know if I want to do finance anymore.

BOB
You can’t change.

JUTTA
You‘re looking for a new job?

BOB
Nah. Got a family business.

JUTTA
Dog-walking service?

BOB
Land management.

JUTTA
Hired hands?

BOB
We own the land. Mostly the Southwest, Texas to California.

JUTTA
So why were you working for me?

BOB
My parents let me do anything. You can’t learn unless you’re confronted with your mistakes. I do well in a hostile environment where you get your head bit off at the slightest misstep. You’re really good at that.
Jutta’s phone rings. She turns it off without diverting her attention from Bob.

JUTTA
A businessman. And trainable. I like the sound of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

registered WGAw